“Naturally, our philosophy when creating a product is to protect against sunburn—but also to protect against what you cannot see or feel, which means all the damage caused well before sunburn appears.” Lionel de Benetti, President of Clarins Laboratories—Paris, France.
Clarins’ Multi-Cellular Protection Sun Care products are genuine treatment formulas that build rich, even, lasting tans while helping to preserve your skin’s health and youthful beauty.
The calculation of UVB protection is standardized at international level and determines the SPF. The calculation of UVA protection is not standardized at international level. However, the minimum level of UVA protection should be of a protection factor equivalent to 1/3 of the SPF (i.e. for SPF15, a minimum level of 5). If this ratio of 1/3 is respected, the UVA protection is indicated on the packaging by the "UVA" logo under the sun protection factor (SPF).
Very high protection (SPF 50+)
for very sun-sensitive skin or skin exposed to very strong sun.
High protection (SPF 30)
For sun-sensitive fair skin, or in
Moderate protection (SPF 15-20)
For skin that tans easily, or in
Low protection (SPF 6-10)
For darker skin tones and already tanned skin,
or in weak sunlight.
Soothe your skin
Prolong your tan
Since skin damage linked to sun exposure continues well after exposure, Clarins Laboratories have developed a complete range of After Sun Soothers—the ultimate in targeted post-sun protection.
Use Clarins After Sun Soothers directly after exposure to:
• Instantly soothe, relieve redness and heat.
• Leave skin soft, satin-smooth and comfortable enough for sun exposure the following day.
• Ensure a rich, radiant, lasting tan—in formulas and textures that will keep your sunny glow glowing long after the sun goes down. For face and body, nothing treats skin better!
Sunburn is the sign that the skin has been aggressed by UV rays during intense exposure to the sun. The burn is of varying degrees. Light sunburn involves an increase in skin temperature and redness and corresponds to a first degree burn. Severe sunburn causes the appearance of small blisters and is a second degree burn.
Moisturizer and after sun,
what is the difference?
A moisturizer certainly rehydrates the skin but will not soothe it like an after sun. After sun brings relief to skin affected by sunburn, prolongs and enhances a tan and also prepares skin for exposure the following day.
For a flawless,
Shun the sun? Go for a faux golden glow with Clarins Self Tanners. Seven mistake-proof formulas create rich, natural-looking, streak free colour on face and body. Tanning so true to you, you’ll love what develops!
Clarins'self tanning secrets:
• Exfoliating the day before eliminates flaky skin cells to encourage even, flaw-free tanning.
• Use a Clarins face and body moisturizer before applying Self Tanner.
• Apply Self Tanner with light smoothing motions, starting at the feet (avoid soles) and working your way up to neck and face.
• After application, wipe eyebrows and hairline with damp tissue.
• Wash hands and nails thoroughly after application.
• For more intense tanning, repeat application after 3 hours.
• Reapply every 3-4 days to maintain results.
• The skin's pH: the lower (more acid) the skin's pH (at the time of applying the self tanner), the more the colour will look natural and less yellowy-orange. So it is recommended to use soap with a physiological pH, as the skin's pH is naturally acid (5-6).
• Moisturization of the skin: the self tanning reaction can only occur in the presence of water, so it is important for the skin to be moisturized to obtain optimal results.
Self tanners and UV, does a self
tan protect against UV?
The colouring of the skin from a self tanner does not protect skin against UV rays!
Unlike melanin pigments which form during sun exposure, melanoidins do not give protection against UV.
That's why the colour obtained from a self tanner is called a "fake tan" and why you must use a protective sun care whenever you are in the sun.